A Modicum of Sanity

20060303

God is dead... and you have killed him for me.


-With apologies to Nietzsche

What do I mean by this? Much the same that Nietzsche originally meant. Not that God has literally died - that would imply he once lived, and would also nullify his omnipotence, thereby removing his deity. I mean that the idea of God, such as it is, is dead to me. An all-loving, all-knowing, all-caring protector. Sounds great, doesn't it? He's like Santa Claus, except better. Always listens to you, helps you when you're scared, and so on. Sadly, such childhood innocence cannot last, and so we are then thrust into theology. Turns out God is a very confused and angry individual according to much of the Christian community. Not only has he commited atrocities that a lesser being would be hung for, he then splits off into two, and possibly three distinct entities that all give conflicting advice.

So it is with this that I must bid adieu to the entire idea. Placing one's hope and trust in an invisble sky being is not only silly, but quite possibly harmful. It saddens me, though, that I no longer can pour out my soul to the air and have my subconscious advise under the guise of answered prayer. Ah well. Life moves on.

3 Comments:

  • after much thought, i still don't know what to say. I'm sorry? I understand? meaningless cliches. So um... thanks for the coffee...

    By Blogger that girl, at 04 March, 2006 11:09  

  • Eh, it's OK. And as mentioned, they mean so much more coming from you.

    By Blogger Stephonovich, at 04 March, 2006 18:09  

  • I'm glad they do, because I mean them with all my heart. But, to me at least, they sound like something that a complete stranger would say if you lost your wallet.

    By Blogger that girl, at 05 March, 2006 17:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home