A Modicum of Sanity

20060522

This is to be a two-part segment, except I'll more than likely just end up doing both today, so it's more of a multi-faceted post... or something.

What is it with Christianity and belittling human accomplishments? Maybe it's just a Baptist thing. But everytime I go, I hear the same thing: "If God were to come back right now, he wouldn't be happy. He wouldn't look at us and say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servants.' No, he would look at us with disgust. He tells us our good deeds are as filthy rags. Completely meaningless in his eyes." Well, if that doesn't give you the warm fuzzies, I don't know what will. Helping to rebuild New Orleans? Meaningless. Buying a homeless guy a cup of coffee and an hour of your time? Worthless.

Any religion that puts down human decency has some serious issues with it. I can understand the salvation through grace bit, and not of works. But to say nothing we do is ever smiled upon by our supposed savior? I want no part of it.

And now, for something [not really] completely different.

Ah, music. The power to enlighten, to depress, to anger, and to inspire. It speaks to us on so many levels, with or without lyrics. When you're deliriously happy, without a care in the world, what do you do? Crank the music up and revel in the happiness. When you're depressed and feel as though no one cares, you softly hit play. When you're pissed off, you dime the volume and release yourself in the screaming sounds of thrash. Music is life for many, and for good reason - we understand it, and it understands us. I guarantee you, any possible emotion or situation you will ever encounter, there is a song written about it.

Because of this, I think there should be (if it's not already been created) a religion of music. If you're going to worship something, why not something that is understandable and reachable? Personally, I would much rather sit down and play my emotions than pray to an invisible deity, hoping that my voice isn't lost in the millions of other souls crying out.

I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you
I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps

-While My Guitar Gently Weeps (The Beatles)

3 Comments:

  • Isn't it fun that as a child you sing, "Jesus loves me", yet once you hit confirmation age, the tables start to turn. Personally, I can't the fire and brimstone stuff. There's nothing worse than heading to church on a Sunday morning and getting another guilt trip. Perhaps that's why I perpetually drift between parishes trying to find a pastor that won't yell at me...

    By Blogger Melissa, at 22 May, 2006 17:58  

  • I've seen kids who were told of fire and brimstone at a young age. One of the few things that really pisses me off. Young children are in no way able to make informed decisions about life. "If you don't do this, you're going to hell." Well gee, who wants to go to hell? Suppose I better do it - my parents, pastor, and teachers tell me it's right.

    By Blogger Stephonovich, at 22 May, 2006 18:40  

  • Yeah, little kids' brains don't operate like that. It isn't until the 2nd grade that kids are introduced to the concept of sin here, but even then, I wonder if they aren't too young to have to think about things like that. What ever happened to letting kids be kids and letting them live in the fantasy world of a perfect world a little longer?

    By Blogger Melissa, at 22 May, 2006 22:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home